Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hei Hei Norge

I have to say Norway is an amazing place. And the second I set foot into Oslo I could tell I wasn't the only one that though so. The country seems to have had a recent influx of Africans and Middle Eastern immigrants, and I say that not only from what I saw but also from what my friend Mathias Lundgren told me. Norway really does have a long term plan, and has an enormous reserve built up to fund its generous social welfare system and high minimum wage. It also seems to be building up every major city as you can visibly see enormous expansion projects popping up all over the place. Here is a picture of him showing me around. It was taken in Slottsparken, according to my Geotagging camera. I love technology.
I gotta say the kid grew up. I remember him as the crazy exchange student who caused about as much trouble as Robb and I did. Turns out now he's taller than me and is considering becoming a flight pilot. And hey he's been to Australia too. He's also been a lot of places...Good to see the guy at any rate, and he had a nice battle wound on his neck from a 'Ranghild' I think. That's one name I really can't pronounce.

The cheeky asshole did wear an England scarf when we watched the football in a pub, and his prediction was 3-0 England. The U.S. was probably quite happy for the tie. Good show boys. And here's to being the only one cheering in the Norwegian pub when Green let the goal in. I love it! Haha everyone was really welcoming though and I think they were happy to have someone from one of the countries there-or maybe because I had a Norwegian friend I wasn't jumped. Still not sure about that one.



I've now taken down three bottles of Danish Akvavit. That shit is like liquid gold, or perhaps candy is a better descriptor. I dunno.


The Oslo opera house might even be more breathtaking than the Sydney Opera house, though I promise nothing. The best part is you can walk around on it and everything is cool. I quite enjoyed it.

After a few days in Oslo, and befriending a British lad and an Icelandic guy with a phenomenal beard, I grabbed the train to Bergen. Bergen is beautiful and if you go to Norway and don't go to Bergen and the Fjord area you really should be punished in some fitting way, though I'll leave that to your imagination....



This is called Bryggen. It is apparently a big cultural landmark, world famous in scale, and is right on the main strip by the harbor and the ship departures for the fjords. It's a really pretty area, in an already very elegant city...but that's just the stepping ground into what I came for...the Sognefjord.







The trip I booked included a ferry ride to a smaller ferry ride to a bus to a ferry through the fjord and back to Bergen. It took all day and was an amazing experience. If you go there, book Norway in a Nutshell and do one of the tours. If you are ballsy, you can add a train ride back to Oslo onto what I did, though I was happy to stay another night in Bergen and grab the first train back in the AM. Some guy from Atlanta suggested I pose while he took a picture of me and here it is. Beautiful sight....and not a bad fjord either! Haha I kid I kid!



After foreign fields, mountains, seas, and fjords, the magic has made it's way back into this young man's heart, and my skies are on fire once again. Inspiration flourishes. Thank you, Norway. I promise to return and hope that you stay the beautiful unique place that you are. Really, please don't change-you're perfect the way you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment